DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Can you please let me know of an endocrinologist who is willing

Can you please let me know of an endocrinologist who is willing to treat a patient in Wales who cannot convert T4 into T3, when the blood tests show a normal T4.
I know of Professor Stafford Lightman in the University Hospital of Bristol, but I am not sure I would be eligible to be treated in England from Wales.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I believe you are still funded by the NHS is that not correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have since been diagnosed with Under Active Thyroid. I have been prescribed T4 50mg. I can see if this will sort the problem out. I am funded by NHS. Previous to this, I was under a private doctor who prescribed T3 as the T4 dosage was not helping. That is the reason why I was looking for a NHS doctor who was more open to prescribing T3 if I cannot convert the T4 into T3.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
HI again.
Any endocrinologist any endocrinologist, should be familiar with this.
You simply need a referral from your GP.
Any endocrinologist knows that some patients do better on T4 and T3.
Some do better on armour thyroid.
And some do better on T4 alone.
You might call here and ask for a member list.
http://www.endocrinology.org/
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully this is the case as I have read that only around 100 endocrinologists are willing to treat these people. And T3 tests are complex and rarely offered by the NHS. Is this the case?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is not true.
Any up to date endocrinologist will realize the 3 options/.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.