Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My wife fell and fractured her patella, it was a clean but

My wife fell and fractured her patella, it was a clean but uneven break. She underwent surgery and was put into a leg brace with 3 degree flex. She went for a check up in two weeks and was advised the surgery had not worked. Further surgery was performed (by a different surgeon) who felt the screws were fixed the wrong way round (from the larger part into the smaller) which compromised the join.
I find it difficult to understand how the surgery failed given the knee was fixed in a brace and my wife was very careful not to place undo stress on the knee.
1) I would appreciate your comments
2) From my reading the recovery period from such surgery is quite long - would it have
been better to fit a new knee?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off was the patella fracture the only injury to her knee? And how is the joint now compromised?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it was the only injury. Following corrective surgery her leg was put in a brace with no flex. She had a follow up appointment two weeks ago X-ray was taken and all was well, she has another appointment later this week.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Anthony--and we can continue after this if you'd like. First off, no, giving her a total knee replacement would have been overkill for this type of injury. The recovery period for this type of surgery is usually six weeks to two months with physical therapy. I can say exactly why the first surgery failed but it sounds as though the pieces of the patellar fracture weren't precisely fitted back into place.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes for her and please remember to rate my service to you Anthony