Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

My son is 9, and in 2010 fell from his high bed and hit his

Customer Question

My son is 9, and in 2010 fell from his high bed and hit his head on the wooden floor. We took him to A&E as he was going in and out of conciousness. He was diagnosed with concussion and was discharged within a few hours. We thought no more of it, but recently have had thoughts as to whether this may have been the cause of some of his subsequent problems. Looking back on it, he started to have toiletting problems (at the time we thought it was stress at school) and he displays mild traits of ASD and has severe dyslexia. Is there likely to be any connection between the fall and these symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

Dr.Customer:

It is possible that your son has post concussion syndrome. While it is difficult to diagnose in general it seems like he has many symptoms that might be attributable to that.

Dr.Customer:

I would think your best course of action is to go to a pediatric neurologist to see what s/he thinks about it.

Dr.Customer:

Can you tell me how long ago your son had his fall?

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

it was in 2010, the first signs of dyslexia only came out some time later

Dr.Customer:

Hmmm... that makes it a bit more doubtful, as usually most of the signs of post concussion syndrome resolve over a few months.

Dr.Customer:

I see now where you put the date in your question. Sorry I missed it before.

Dr.Customer:

Age 5 is a time where some things like the ones you've mentioned can come about.

Dr.Customer:

I see you are in the UK. I know that in the US we can take children either to a "developmental pediatrician" or to pediatric neurologist to get a better understand of what is going on with them.

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

Its strange that the symptoms came out after he had the fall and he showed no signs of anything prior to this

Dr.Customer:

Do you have either of these in the UK?

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

Yes, we could do that

Dr.Customer:

Like you said, some of the things you mentioned are borderline (mild ASD traits) etc. that could have just manifested then. 5 is still an age where there is a lot of change going on.

Dr.Customer:

Here is the link on post concussion syndrome by WebMD that looks good. You can read it and see if you want to discuss any of this with the doctor you choose (as mentioned above)

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

I also understand that behavoural problems (like those found with mild ASD) can be as a result of frustration through dyslexia?

Dr.Customer:

Absolutely!

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

Thanks, ***** ***** helpful

Dr.Customer:

The good thing about that is that most children can "outgrow" the behaviors if treated properly.

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

couldnt get your link to work?

Dr.Customer:

Interestingly, a study done to see the outcome of ASD patients found that despite their level of functioning the most telling thing about having a good outcome was if the people around them had hope of a good outcome, and high expectations of the child.

Dr.Customer:

Sorry --

JACUSTOMER-upqw9co8- :

Do you have a reference for that study?

Dr.Customer:

Try again here?

Dr.Customer:

I don't have a reference, I just heard it in a conference late last week and haven't had a chance to investigate it yet.

After 10 minutes the chat ends unless you pay more. To avoid that I've switched this to a question/answer instead of a chat.
Thank you for your payment.
Did you see the link reposted above?
Here is a link that is similar to the talk I mentioned above. This one is in regards ***** ***** disabilities.
http://www.ed.gov/blog/2014/06/higher-expectations-to-better-outcomes-for-children-with-disabilities/

Please know that follow-up questions are free of charge. I will be leaving my computer shortly, but I will try to be back tonight, or tomorrow morning.

G-d Bless