Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had unprotected sex last week -the day after my period ended,

I had unprotected sex last week -the day after my period ended, 30 hours later I took levonella the morning after pill, yesterday, so 5 days after taking the morning after pill, I began my period, which isnt due for another 2 weeks. Is this normal? Do I have to make an appointment asap, or can I see how long this period lasts, and then take a test if my period in 2 weeks is late.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

The morning after pill is not known to cause an early period.

Dr Uzair :

Women on the morning after pill can experience an early period by a day or may be two but not by two weeks.

Dr Uzair :

Is this bleeding heavier or lighter than your routine menstruation?

Customer:

It started off lighter, so just when I wiped. It is a little heavier now, but still not as heavy as my normal period

Dr Uzair :

However, when the pill is taken in the pre-ovulatory phase stages of the period, then spotting is experienced by some women.

Dr Uzair :

If this current period lasts more than 48 hours, if you soak or change two pads in a day, or if the period is accompanied with lower abdominal pain, then you should seek medical attention.

Dr Uzair :

However, most of the spotting usually doesn't show the above signs and goes away in 48 to 72 hours.

Dr Uzair :

Please reply back if you have more queries.

Customer:

Ok thankyou. Do you think there could be a high chance that I could be pregnant?

Dr Uzair :

With the current intercourse, it is unlikely, since you took the pill and are experiencing bleeding, however, there is no available method to know if someone is pregnant within 5 days of sexual intercourse. So, its all speculation at this point in time.

Customer:

Ok, thankyou Dr

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Feel better soon and best wishes.