Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I had severe burning sensation in my left thigh while sitting

Hi, I had severe burning sensation in my left thigh while sitting at a table in a restaurant this has happened to me three times twice in a restaurant and once while sitting at a table in a bar it’s never happened at home when flying (long haul) or driving. I am worried if it could happen when I was driving as could be dangerous. The Pain is severe it’s like cramp but a burning sensation I have to jump up quick to relieve the pain and it takes a few minutes to ease, I am then left with a bruised feeling for a couple of days.
Can you advise please? Many Thanks Roger
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have blood pressure pills and I am taken Amlodipine 5mg tablets daily.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi sorry I also take co codamol now and again for back pain,

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possible causes of the sudden burning pain, such as you describe. It is typically due to pressure on a nerve causing the burning pain, but there are several possible causes for pressure on the nerve.

It could be positional in nature. From a nerve and musculoskeletal perspective, there is nothing unique about being in a restaurant, unless this is the only time that you are drinking alcoholic beverages The only other thought about these episodes is that it is possible that the sitting positions on these occasions was placing physical strain resulting in pressure on the nerve. The fact that you feel that you need to change positions supports that there is a positional component.

There also could be some underlying musculoskeletal degeneration or inflammation or chronic muscle spasm that places pressure on the nerve. This is a very common cause of symptoms such as you describe, but there is no reason for these problems to be exacerbated in restaurants other than the possibility of position as noted above. The fact that you have chronic back problems also increases the likelihood that degenerative changes may be a component of the problem.

I ask about the medicines because certain medicines can adversely affect the nerve or musculoskeletal system, but the amlodipine only rarely causes muscle cramps. The co-codamol is not reported to cause such symtoms as a side effect.

There are a couple options that can be tried for management of symptoms, but only limited options available without seeing your doctor. It may help to use an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to perform stretching exercises, either before entering the restaurant or if another episode occurs. The application of moist heat also may help, particularly relief of the symptoms that can persist for days after the episode.

If these interventions are not adequate for control of the problem, then it would be appropriate to see your physician.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.