Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

If you use nicorettes or something to help you give up smoking

If you use nicorettes or something to help you give up smoking can these affect you exercising like normal cigarettes affect your cardio vascular health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--we can discuss this further after I answer if you'd like. While using things like Nicorette obviously avoids the lung toxicity of smoking and the risk of COPD and lung cancer, nicotine does raise heart rate and blood pressure and tends to constrict the coronary arteries which potentially could lead to heart disease but the most recent studies really don't show that the use of Nicorette puts one at any significant risk for heart injury. And of course if the Nicorette is used for a limited period of time and then discontinued, there's no long term heart damage or risk
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,I would still like to know will nicorettes make it harder for me to exercise like smoking does

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, it won't and there's no risk with exercising while you're using it James