Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I hope you can offer me some advise, Im 48 yrs old, taking

I hope you can offer me some advise, Im 48 yrs old, taking no medication or birth control, and weigh about 8.5 st, normally I have regular periods, having a couple of heavy days flow followed by light spotting for a few days, with little or no pain. 2 months a go I experienced a very heavy period that lasted 2 weeks, and last month was back to normal. This month I started my period as normal which lasted monday to friday. Then on saturday and from then on i have experienced extreme flooding and clotting, needing the highest flow tampon and a towel, this is still continuing 5 days later. I intend to make an appointment with my GP, but there is usually a 3 week waiting list. Should I just wait this one out or do I need more urgent attention? I am not in pain, but cannot really leave the house for long and I am concerned how much blood I am losing as well as being a little scared. What do you advise please?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

With the kind of heavy bleeding that you are having you should go to the emergency.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should not wait for three weeks or two weeks or an appointment.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Heavy bleeding can lead to a low hemoglobin (anemia) which is something we would desperately want to avoid.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Therefore I would strongly recommend that you should go to the A&E to get this treated.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also like to add that these irregular and heavy periods are due to the fact that you are entering your menopause.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When a lady nears menopause there are cycles where a lady may not have ovulation which causes the irregular and heavy bleeding.

Customer:

I thought that would be the case, but concerned abut the current situation

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes you do need to get this checked out ASAP

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would not wait for an appointment.

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards