Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My daughter is constantly suffering from urine infections.

My daughter is constantly suffering from urine infections. I feel frustrated as I live in Dundee and she is living in London. She complains of having a urine infection every 2 weeks and her life is being disrupted by this. She is 26 years old and has a steady boyfriend. She has visited her GP in london several times and has been given antibiotics on numerous occasions which clears the infection up in the short term only to return again approx. 2 weeks later. She has had a scan at the hospital to be told that nothing out of order was apparent and she is going to the GP next week for blood tests . Lisa said she is constantly at the toilet to pass urine - much more often than should be considered normal .
Can you please give me your thoughts as to how she should proceed ? With many thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

How many times she has been treated with antibiotics?

Dr. Hasan :

Does she has other symptoms like urinary burning, abdominal pain etc?

Dr. Hasan :

Any other symp***** *****ke waking up at night frequently to pass urine, incontinence or urine?

Dr. Hasan :

of urine?

Customer:

I uring the night to urinawould say she's had about 5 sets of antibiotics in the past year. She doesn't often wake up during

Dr. Hasan :

Customer:

the night to urinate. She has urinary burning and feels generally unwell .She doesn't complain of abdominal pain often but she urinates frequently - 25 - 30 times a day when she has the infections.

Dr. Hasan :

Have they done urine culture?

Customer:

Yes she has and that's when doctor has prescribed antibiotics. Do you think it's worthwhile for her to arrange a private consultation with a specialist ?

Dr. Hasan :

Thank you for your input. I am sorry to hear about her problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

The frequency of her urinary infections is very frequent and giving antibiotics again and again is not the solution.

Dr. Hasan :

She should visit a urologist because he is the best person to treat such issues.

Dr. Hasan :

The source of infection nearby like vaginal infections should be looked for.

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover they should get her CT scan and sometime they may need further endoscopic examination to look for the possible cause.

Dr. Hasan :

So the next step is a visit to urologist whether through referral by GP or private consultation.

Dr. Hasan :

Symptoms which she has can also be caused sometime by conditions other than infections like over active bladder so they should be checked for as well.

Customer:

When she was getting a smear test last week the nurse said she had thrush - is this something that could cause the frequent urine infections ?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes vaginitis is a known cause of recurrent urinary tract infections

Dr. Hasan :

Once vaginitis is treated the urine infections get healed.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help .

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.