Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Had fusion in big toe in12 .12 2012" and it still swells they

Had fusion in big toe in12 .12 2012" and it still swells they never told me there was a plate in it asked docter if he could remove it .as it hurts and hurts under big toe where it has corn on it and no shoe is comfortable and my foot is bigger then the right one is there anything I can do please vicki
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 3 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dear Vicki

Dr.Amita :

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are facing after having the surgery

Dr.Amita :

Fusion surgery tends to alter the weight bearing pattern of foot and that particular toe and that can cause formation of corns where increased pressure is exerted

Dr.Amita :

Any surgery in foot area can also lead to long term swelling in foot especially on the supper surface of foot where the soft tissue is loose

Customer:

I walk with limp now is there anything I can do

Dr.Amita :

The most important thing to do right now is to get special shoes made with sole cutout in areas of corn or areas where incraesed pressure is bieng exerted

Dr.Amita :

Prosthetists who specialize in making special devices and footwear would be able to make this type of shoe for you

Dr.Amita :

Plate removal should be considered if the plate is prominent and causing pain

Dr.Amita :

Can you see my reply?