Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a bad sore throat, feels like tonsillitis/strep throat.

I have a bad sore throat, feels like tonsillitis/strep throat. I have no fever. I live in the US, what is my best over-the-counter option to ease the pain?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off if it were strep if you don't get antibiotics for it you run the risk of developing rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart valve disease so you really should see a doctor. As for what you can do now, oral ibuproren, honey-laced tea, salt water gargle, Choloroseptic spray, and zinc lozenges can help with your symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** would be the obvious symptoms if it were strep throat?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Usually it's pretty severe pain and there's white pus spotches on the tonsil or pharynx and usually it comes with a fever. Viral pharyngitis usually subsides in less than five days but any sore throat that goes on longer than that should be evaluated. No harm if it is strep in waiting five days to get antibiotics for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** not have a fever, just a very sore throat and am coughing up some phlegm, no aches and pains, just a very sore and uncomfortable throat. I appreciate your time, greatly..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just give it a few days then. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you