Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

hi, my bowel movement has been irregular for about 2 to

hi,
my bowel movement has been irregular for about 2 to 3 months now. i don't know why, my diet has not changed significantly (i am vegetarian). I am fairly healthy, 29 yo male, 6 feet, 80 kgs. I dont drink excessively and exercise 2 time per week. The only thing i can think of is that i work long hours and, at times, quite stressful. I drink coffee 2 to 3 cups in the morning and often (because of a busy schedule) dont "make time" to go to the bathroom. It is a problem because i am breaking quite offensive wind. Please can you help me.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I personally think that the 'stressful' period that you have experienced recently is the most likely cause of your symptoms.
This is called as irritable bowel syndrome.
You can try taking something like over-the-counter imodium if you are having loose stools.
If you are constipated you can take increased amounts of fiber.
Increasing fiber in the diet will also help your irregular bowel movements. Over-the-counter fiber supplement like metamucil may also help in your case.
You can read more details here on this weblink:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/basics/definition/CON-20024578
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please do rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest Regards