Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Is One-alpha (alfacalcidol) safe in pregnancy? I take 1.5 micrograms

Customer Question

Is One-alpha (alfacalcidol) safe in pregnancy? I take 1.5 micrograms per day and my D3 blood test result was 97.4 - way above normal range I Am 7 weeks pregnant, also taking 4 tablets of Adcal-D3 a day and 125 mg Levothyroxine a day.
It is my second pregnancy and I am really strugling bealth wise. Not feeling well at all.
Also concerened about the bealth of my baby due Calcium and vitamin D supplements. What are the risks?
Ivie
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

I do not know what the units are for 97.4.

Dr. K. :

Toxicity should not occur at many times the normal level, or over 300 ng/ml

Dr. K. :

You would need to take massive amounts of vitamin D every day to get to this

Dr. K. :

You are taking 3 times the normal dose and thats why your blood level is high. Vitamin D is fat soluble and can accumulate. You should stop taking it but theres really no risk to the baby. You dont need this much calcium either, especially calcium with vitamin d

Dr. K. :

While you are pregnant, take a prenatal vitamin and focus on eating well instead

JACUSTOMER-8ymkw80k- :

Thanks. I had my thyroidectomy in 2010 and it seems that my parathyroid glands were damaged. I have been taking all these tablets since. My calcium level 2.1

JACUSTOMER-8ymkw80k- :

I

JACUSTOMER-8ymkw80k- :

Am mainly worried about the D3 a d t

JACUSTOMER-8ymkw80k- :

And taking One-ALPHA in pregnancy as some suggest to discontinue if the benefit to mother dkes not

JACUSTOMER-8ymkw80k- :

Exceed the risk to the baby.

Dr. K. :

Ok So you need the calcium. you can take one vitamin d which is fine.