Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I have been recently diagnosed with moderately severe degenerative

I have been recently diagnosed with moderately severe degenerative hip disease- right hip more severe, but left also affected but less so and not painful. I have heat and pain in the right hip which is breath catching at times and hip feels as though it will give way, inspite medication Naproxan 500mg BD and Co-codamol QDS. I have had 3 months physiotherapy which has helped the movement in the joint and removed the back symptoms 90% of the time. The medication makes me nauseus and I have had acute gastric pain inspite eating when taking the tablets. Is there anything else I can do? I am on a weight reducing diet, but it's slow due to reduced exercise. I am walking more, very slowly on a bad day. I am hobbling about like an old woman and I'm 54. It is impacting heavily on my job now- I'm a teacher. and my home life as I am second carer for a two year old. I am so depressed about this situation and am finding it really hard to cope. My GP has just said walk a lot, lose weight and take the tablets.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

I am Dr.Amita and I would be happy to assist you

Dr.Amita :

You should discuss adding a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec to the medicines you take as it may help counteract the gastric side effects of Naproxen.

Dr.Amita :

You should also discuss decreasing the dose of co codamol as it may be causing nausea

Dr.Amita :

In place of cocodamol higher dose of paracetamol can be given

Customer:

would it be beneficial to have a steroid injection into the joint?

Dr.Amita :

You may also start taking chondroitin and glucosamine as these supplements may help to some extent in arthritis

Dr.Amita :

I was coming to that.Yes you can definitely consider steroid shot into the joint as it can give a short term relief in pain for 6 -12 months

Dr.Amita :

You may also consider having hyaluronate injection as visco supplementation as that may also give short term relief

Customer:

I just cant keep on like this, I am usually quite active but there are times when I cant even walk without holding onto furniture, I will try the glucosamine and chondroitine, what doses should I take?

Dr.Amita :

Chondroitin should be used in dose of 200-400mg 2-3 times a day or 1000-1200 mg as a single dose.Glucosamine should be used as 500-750mg 2-3 times a day or 1500 -2000mg as a single dose

Customer:

Thank you for your advice I will commence those tomorrow. I'll go back to my GP to discuss injection.

Dr.Amita :