Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my mother has been in constant extreme abdominal pain since

Customer Question

my mother has been in constant extreme abdominal pain since monday. doctor prescribed antibiotics for suspected diverticulitus. pain killer, paracetamol, tramadol and antibiotics not working - still extreme pain. took her to a&e and an xray reveiled nothing. how can i help her pain. she hasnt passed a stool since monday either and is in agony constantly. i dont know what i can do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Unfortunately except perhaps in giving her just liquids and soft foods there isn't anything more you can do for her--certainly no enemas or laxatives at this point. My major concern is she may not just have diverticulitis but may actually have an abscess from that or even possibly a colon perforation. She needs to be brought back to A&E and she needs a ct scan of her abdomen to look for that. This could be just a problem with a fecal impaction--stool stuck in her colon--but before that is addressed it's imperative to make sure she doesn't have an abscess.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I took her twice now to a&e as her doctor said to take her as he was at a bit of a lose as to diagnosis. they did an xray and said it was clear. possibly a trapped nerve but that could be caused by her constantly in pain and not lying or standing properly. she cant really stand still at all just rocking to ease the pain. a&e just said they didnt know and sent her home. she is usually so active and a very young 79, travelling, gardening etc all the time. should i take her again and insist on ct scan? id be really grateful for your help. she lives alone and I will go again in the morning. im scared to do the wrong thing. just want her out of pain

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand. Yes--take her back, let them know about her severe pain, and ask for the ct. That's a simple enough way to rule out the abscess. Let me know how it goes Wendy and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. i will let you know how i get on. i appreciate it a lot#

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'll be here Wendy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well I took my mum at 11am and finally at 4 they gave her some orimorph as well as the tramadol and paracetamol - they will do a CT scan but can't right now as its the weekend and has to be urgent. they have kept her in 24 hours and will see tomorrow if they keep her in til they can do a scan or send her home with the painkillers. I hope they keep her in Im worried about her taking the meds without anyone around! I will see her tomoro morning. worried about leaving her there but i need some sleep and have a 12 year old at home - shes with my 24 year old son so not alone. I just remembered tho that she takes a tablet for thyroid which she doesnt have with her. should i call the hospital or will it be ok for a day?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You can just let the hospital know tomorrow Wendy. Let me know how it goes