Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Is it safe to take Imodium daily after being diagnosed with

Is it safe to take Imodium daily after being diagnosed with IBS?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Except for precautions taken with young children, pregnant women and those with IBD (inflammatory bowel syndrome), Imodium is considered to be a relatively safe, well-tolerated option for dealing with diarrhea particularly the type that is related to IBS. As imodium only acts on the digestive tract, there appears to be little risk associated with long-term or frequent use.

Customer:

Is feeling cold at times and backache common in IBS sufferers? My cramps appear after I've been to the toilet whereas it's usually after a meal - I am concerned about this as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had a colonoscopy recently or in the past?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

No I haven't.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You have never had a colonoscopy?

Customer:

No. Is it something I should have had?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Has it ever been recommended?

Customer:

No, not at all.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, the recommended is that any person, especially of your age, who is change in the bowel movements should have one done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So before labeling you as suffering with IBS I would have done a colonoscopy especially at your age

Customer:

Can I ask why is that?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The recommendation is that you should have a colonoscopy starting at the age of 50 to screen for colon cancer and then every ten years after that.

Customer:

What are the symptoms for colon cancer? I had these problems about 2 years ago and after doing a food intolerance test and cutting out what was causing the problem things cleared up but it has come back again.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There may be no symptoms of colon cancer

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Which is why screening is the best way to pick early cancer

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But since you are having these symptoms for two years it is UNLIKELY to be cancer

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Because had it been cancer you would have been in the heavens by now

Customer:

Should I ask for a colonoscopy test or take my GP's diagnosis that I have IBS?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should ask for a screening colonoscopy.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

Yes. I did a Bionetics Test for food intolerance and they mentioned that I had parasites!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

well, I do not trust that test

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It seems nothing more than a scam

Customer:

What about the York Test as someone has mentioned to me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

That is for food intolerance testing

Dr. Shahzad MD :

That may be helpful particularly if you are allergic to foods

Customer:

Ok. I will ask for a colonoscopy test to make sure. Can I have an anaesthetic for that?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

They will give a local anesthetic.

Customer:

That's fine. One more question - Is it normal for IBS sufferers to have cramps every day after visiting the toilet?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Very common with IBS

Customer:

Thank you very much doctor.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine