Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi there I have been unwell for the last 5 weeks.it all

Hi there
I have been unwell for the last 5 weeks.it all started suddenly with a sudden feeling of unwell and muscle aches sorta flu like. I got better for a few days then it hit me again! Last week I came out in a terrible cold. my eyes were streaming and everything. Wednesday and Thursday I felt better and thought I was on the mend but yesterday wake up with flu like symptoms again. I havnt hot temperature but I feel hot and my bloods all good including thyroid and ebv only thing was slightly raised ck level but only slightly. Any advice on what to do next?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

How high were the EBV and thyroid levels?

Customer: Thank you
Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

Welcome

Customer: Ebv was negative thyroid was right in middle I believe
Dr. Hasan :

Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat,cough etc?

Customer: All bloods in range except creatine kinase which was 400
Dr. Hasan :

ok

Dr. Hasan :

Customer: I had a terrible cold for 4 day from last Sunday where I was sneezing and eyes were streaming
Customer: In between just muscle aches and feeling unwell
Customer: I actually felt better when I had the cold
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

What you have is consistent with nasal allergy.

Dr. Hasan :

Recurrent attacks of allergy leads to all the symptoms you have.

Customer: But now I do not have a cold?
Dr. Hasan :

Allergy can lead to sinus infections and ongoing clinical and sub clinical infection can lead to the body aches

Dr. Hasan :

and other symptoms you have.

Dr. Hasan :

It is not necessary to have fever in such infections.

Customer: I have recently had problems with eustacian tube can that be linked
Customer: My nose is clear today just feel hot and unwell
Dr. Hasan :

Yes eustachian tubes are present just behind the nose and can get involved in such problems.

Dr. Hasan :

What have you tried so far?

Customer: Just been taking paracetamol and vitamins
Customer: My doctor thought it was post viral fatigue
Dr. Hasan :

Yes it is possible as well

Customer: But it's not like I always want to sleep just unwell
Dr. Hasan :

Are you taking anything to prevent the attack of cold again?

Customer: I can actually go on a walk and feel better
Customer: Just vitamin tablets
Dr. Hasan :

I do have suggestions that how can you prevent such attacks.

Customer: Ok
Dr. Hasan :

In such cases over the counter nasacort spray 2 puffs twice daily should be used for 3 weeks.

Dr. Hasan :

It will prevent the attacks.

Customer: Ok
Dr. Hasan :

Moreover take some anti allergic tablet like tab claritin once daily.

Customer: Can nasal allergy really cause you to feel this unwell?
Dr. Hasan :

Moreover I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take 7 days or more but will help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Nasal allergy is the triggering factor, the resulting problems cause the symptoms actually.

Dr. Hasan :

Post viral fatigue is also possible as your doctor said but recurring attacks of nasal symptoms means that nasal allergy should be addressed as well.

Customer: Would this not show in blood test and would I not have permenant runny nose. Also can nasal allergy make muscles ache?
Dr. Hasan :

No it doesn't show on blood tests always.

Dr. Hasan :

No it comes in bouts so not necessary to have runny nose all the times.

Dr. Hasan :

Post viral fatigue associated with this can cause muscle aches.

Customer: But in between I feel terrible. When I had my runny nose and streaming eyes I actu felt a lot better. Is that consistent?
Dr. Hasan :

It is just coincidence.

Dr. Hasan :

Feeling better with runny nose is not significant clinically.

Dr. Hasan :

How much paracetamol you are taking?

Customer: I felt like I was recovering and then had a relapse yesterday now no runny nose. All very strange
Dr. Hasan :

There is also a possibility of influenza viral infection.

Dr. Hasan :

But I am stressing on nasal allergy because it seems to be associated here and that is the cause that you get recurrent attacks of these symptoms.

Dr. Hasan :

In case of just viral infections, the symptoms should keep getting better rather than recuring.

Customer: How long will post viral fatigue last?
Dr. Hasan :

recurring

Customer: Would influenza last 5 weeks and would it show in bloods?
Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can last for weeks to months.

Dr. Hasan :

Influenza if not complicated by post viral fatigue gets better but if it gets complicated it can stay for weeks to months.

Customer: But just to clear this up I can have just muscle aches and feel unwell and it could be allergy?And how do I test for it?
Dr. Hasan :

For allergy you must see an allergist.

Dr. Hasan :

but before doing this you can follow my suggestions and they can be helpful

Customer: Ok thanks. But allergy can just cause feeling of unwell and muscle aches and hot feeling without blocked nose?
Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can.

Dr. Hasan :

I reassure you that you will be fine.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry.

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else you want to ask?

Customer: It's just I have a wedding on Friday and I am the best man so want to be ok
Dr. Hasan :

Oh many congratulations.

Customer: Is there anything I can take to help me through the day
Customer: Thanks
Dr. Hasan :

Yes take 2 tablets Tylenol three times a day

Dr. Hasan :

Start it a day before your wedding and take it even if you don't have symptoms.

Customer: Ok thanks
Dr. Hasan :

You are welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you all the best for your health and specially for your wedding.

Dr. Hasan :

My best wishes and prayers are for you.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery