DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, I have been depressed for a few months. I can hardly

Customer Question

I have been depressed for a few months. I can hardly cope with my demanding job (I cope OK but I know myself), and, of course, the tasks just pile up and I don't know where to start and have no energy. I know myself and I've not been like this even 2 years ago. Top marks at school, 1st class degree at the university, 2nd degree while working and a complete change of profession, moved cities and countries and have started anew (i.e. establishing myself, finding a new job etc - without having a partner to support me). I've just written all this down thinking - I must have had so much more energy! I am ambitious by nature but I am a bit stuck at the moment, hence the depression I suppose.
Key reasons: I am 40 yo and have no family, the current relationship is not going anywhere I feel and he lives in a different country although we meet every few months. He is reluctant to discuss the future which upsets me.
Professionally I am also not where I'd like to be (according to my ambitions), although in reality it's not that bad, I work for a top-tier firm with fantastic clients. But there hasn't been any progression over 4 years and I've lost my motivation (again, I know myself), the job is very demanding, that's why I just feel used. It's also not my ideal job as it doesn't allow me to fully realise myself although it's very demanding mentally and various etc. I have started to search for a new job but it requires lots of energy and focus which I lack as I said above.
So I don't know where to start - I feel like a complete failure at the moment: no family, no children, not where I'd like to be career wise. And I feel I am becoming less attractive. I just feel that I have not been able to realise all my potential to date: I am lucky to be attractive, well educated, have a curious mind etc, and yet what have I done with all that? People set up companies and do amazing things with their lives.
So where do I start? I feel I can't delay anything any more, particularly children.
And how can I get my energy back? On Saturday all I can do is sleep and recover. Whereas I should be doing lots and lots! What has happened to my energy and what should I do? Should I go to a doctor? Should I go to a psychologist?
Julia
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Hello.
Sorry about this situation; I understand it fully.
You need to see your internist, and a psychologist.
First, medical problems such as hypothyrodism need to be ruled out. It is underdiagnosed and can cause all of your symptoms.
If there are no medical findings, the choices are a psychologist or psychiatrist.
A PHD clinical psychologist that uses cognitive behavioral therapy can be as effective as a psychiatrist who prescribes medication, although sometimes both are needed.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.