Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 18 year old cannot shake off a persistent cough he gets

Customer Question

My 18 year old cannot shake off a persistent cough he gets continuously throughout the year. He appears to get 3-4 chest infections throughout year also and when weather gets damp he definitely gets worse. He is just after a course of antibiotics and recently another doctor suggested he may have asthma so prescribed steroids and brown inhaler. My son plays sport and everytime weather disimproves when he has a match, I will almost certainly be taking him to the doctor 2 days later. I would appreciate your help.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Was the steroids prescribed as an inhaler or as pills?
What is the name of the brown inhaler? Beclometasone?
How long has he been taking the steroids and the brown inhaler?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are a couple of possibilities in this situation, but this recent doctor is correct, one of the common possibilities is from asthma. If so, the use of steroids and an inhaler may be of benefit. Another common possibility is that there could be some allergy inflammation that is causing the symptoms. The steroids may also help with allergy inflammation. These problems are not mutually exclusive, as some people with asthma have an allergic component to the asthma.

Some people can also have a chronic, recurrent cough and an asthma-like clinical presentation related to acid reflux. This is less often, so it is appropriate to consider asthma as more likely, but if the problem ersists, it would be appropriate to pursue evaluation for acid reflux.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.