Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

my right ear has a loud throbbing that is there all the ti

Customer Question

my right ear has a loud throbbing that is there all the time
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Customer:

I amCustomerand I would be assisting you

Customer:

The condition you describe is known as pulsatile tinnitus

Customer:

This is commonly present on one side and usualy has an underlying cause which can be identified

Customer:

usually

Customer:

A common cause in elderly patients is vascular stenosis that is blood vessels in head or neck area getting constricted.The disorderly blood flow produced due to this can cause the sound produced to be transmitted to the ear causing throbbing to be heard in the ear.

Customer:

Stenosis in blood vessels can occur due to formation of plaque in the blood vessels or it can less commonly be caused by condition called fibromuscular dysplasia

Customer:

Formation of aneurysms in the arteries of head and neck and especially dissecting aneurysms is another possible cause

Customer:

Anatomical variations in the anatomy of blood vessels may also be responsible

Customer:

Arterio-venous fistulas or intra cranial hypertension are other possible causes

Customer:

Investigations including DSA ( digital subtraction angiography), MRI, CT scan and doppler tests may be needed to diagnose the underlying cause.You need to see an ENT surgeon and a neurosurgeon to get the underlying cause diagnosed and treated.

Customer:

Customer:

Can you tell me what is bad about my answer.I have given you correct information.

Customer:

If you need to know anything or clarify anything you are welcome to ask and I would be happy to answer all your queries.