DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I spoke with my Doctor on the phone, about a suspected inguinal

I spoke with my Doctor on the phone, about a suspected inguinal hernia, but forgot to ask a question. No action is required. There is no pain or discomfort and very minimal swelling on standing.
When I cough or sneeze, I get a feeling in my groin, like an "impulse", or "air pocket".
Is this a common feeling to get with a hernia?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes this is common in the case if inguinal hernia.
However, you do need an exam to diagnose it.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. It was reassuring. I was worried as I wasn't sure what it was when I coughed or sneezed, and was it common.
I have become somewhat obsessional about checking it. There is never anything there.
If it is common in my circumstances, can you reassure me that I don't have to keep checking myself, every time I cough or sneeze. It would just help me and settle me down.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
A severe hernia would be an obvious bulge, and it would be getting bigger.
A hernia that needs immediate exam would be increasing in size and painful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doctor
Apologies for being so persistent.
When I ask for reassurance about checking myself, every time I cough or sneeze, what i mean is that I feel the need to lie down on the bed and press my groin with my hand, for reassurance that all is ok. It is always ok, but it is becoming a compulsion and I need to break it. Reassurance from a doctor that i don't need to do this would resolve it for me I'm sure.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I see no reason for you to do this.
I would check it once daily.
Until you see your doctor, then cease.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't really want to go back to my doctor having spoken recently.
I know Im being obsessive, but really all I need to hear is that if there is no obvious change in size or in the absence of any other symptoms, such as pain , discomfort, or anything else, that every time I cough or sneeze, there is no need to lie down and check my groin by pressing my hand.
For you to say that this is not necessary and that i should cease it,( unless any other symptoms emerge)that would settle my mind considerably.
That's all I'm really asking
Sorry to be nuisance
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Unless you feel a change, i don't think you need to check it more than once a day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible to just say to me that i don't need to keep checking it, if there are no new symptoms or change in size or anything else.
I'm not avoiding anything or in denial or anything else. It';s just that
the checking is becoming an obsession which is effecting my life. I know I'm a worrier. If I can stop checking it, with your say so, I know I'll feel much better. I will continue to keep a discrete eye on it and behave responsibly, and if anything changes I will see my Doctor.
I just need you to let me know that on that basis, I don't need to keep doing it if there is no change.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I don't think you need to check it unless you fell a change.
However, I can not examine you, I don't have a picture, this is theoretical, unless your doctor has examined it and says you don't need to check it ever.
If not, go see your doctor.