Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi,I am having severe pain in my stomach what could it

Hi, I am having severe pain in my stomach what could it be?

The pain is not there now and comes on quite suddenly, enough to see me wake up from my sleep and be rolling in agony for a good few hours, i seen the doctor he said it was severe gastritius.

But this comes on suddenly, and happens about twice a month sometimes more sometimes less. But it is nearly always at night?

I also get sharp sudden crippling pain in my stomach which lasts only a few seconds at a time, but this happens about 5-10 times a week.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please

It could be acid reflux related or an ulcer Peter
I would ask your GP about treating with prilosec
that usually helps
You might need a GI doctor to take a look though with an endoscopy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had several endoscope and colonscopy procedures, the last one was about 18 months ago, the only thing that pointed to was a grade 2 osphagitis.

I underwent these procedures because i have long term chronic anaemia and they were trying to find out where a bleed could be. This pain has only started within the last 4 months.

you should be on prilosec life long then
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on omeprazole 40mg daily but this pain has started since then

then you might need a CAT scan of the belly to look for something else
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was looking for problems which may be happening, But the doctor has not offered anything which may be the cause of my pain.

why did you rate negative Peter?
I am trying to help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because I was looking for things which could cause this pain, not that I need a CT Scan.

ulcers, pancreatitis, inflammation
these can all cause pain
also crohn's disease, irritable bowel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is most likely, given that the severe pain which lasts for about 3-4 hours at a time comes on in the early hours, and comes about 1-2 occasions a week. I do get a lot of acid despite being on omeprazole, but use antacids to cover this. When the pain starts I use antacids, painkillers (co-codamol) going to the toilet etc but nothing helps the pain.

I would suspect gall bladder attacks is the most likely
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)