Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have had this for 4 days, which is very watery with cramps.

I have had this for 4 days, which is very watery with cramps. I have been drinking water all the time and feeling very tired all the time. Tried to eat a small amount but just passes through in a watery consistency. I have been taking Imodium, what else should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
How many times have you taken imodium in a day?
Are you passing blood mixed with stool?
Fever?
Vomiting?
Do you have severe abdomen cramps?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

taken imodium 5 to 6 times a day and not everyday as have tried to flush out of my system with water.

Not passing any blood

Fever at first but not anymore.

No vomiting

Have had severe abdomen cramps especially after eating eg: toast

Now have mild abdomen cramps just drinking water.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
It is possible that she may be suffering from E. coli infection.
It causes severe abdominal cramps watery diarrhea.
Having associated fatigue, and loose stool since last 4 days, which is not improving with imodium, should be further evaluated by doctor. If it was viral infection, then it should have got resolve in 4 days.
It is possible that you may have got Intestine parasite infection.
Usually they are transmitted when someone comes in contact with infected feces through contaminated soil, food, or water.
To make a diagnose, a stool culture test and complete blood count test has to be done.
You should take probiotics 1-2 times a day between meals.
Appropriate antibiotic will be selected after stool culture test.
Usually, metronidazole is given by mouth for 10 days.
At this time, you need to replenish your electrolytes by taking electrolyte rich fluids like Gatorade and ORS (Oral rehydration Salt).
You should try using the BRAT diet which includes Bananas (good source of potassium), Rice, Applesauce and toast.
You should Tab.Acetaminophen for relief from stomach ache & cramps.
Prolonged diarrhea may have lead to electrolyte imbalance. It becomes very important to keep yourself hydrated, As most of the problems occur due to dehydration which and it can lead to serious conditions such as renal failure and even shock.
I would suggest, that you should see your doctor for clinical evaluation and get appropriate management at the earliest.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.