Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What causes head numbness on one side

What causes head numbness on one side
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is this only numbness, i.e., an inability to detect when something is touching your face?
Or is this more of a tingling sensation?
Does it involve the face and the entire scalp on that side?
How long has this been bothering you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I has been there about one week. It is a weird tingling sensation on the left area of the head and slightly down the left neck area. I went to my gp who thought it might be sinusitis and out me on antibiotics last tuesday but no change. I also feel sick bu put that down to the medication.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it involves the left side of face and scalp

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I have n answer please

Thank you for the additional information. I apologize for the length of time, but it takes some time to type a complete answer.

There are many more possible causes of a tingling sensation than numbness. Numbness typically indicates a problem that is affecting the nerve, either within the nerve or external to the nerve and pressing on the nerve. A tingling sensation also can be neurologic, but there are other conditions that can cause tingling.

I ask about whether the entire head is affected including the scalp, because the nerve that serves the face is located very distant from the nerve that serves the scalp. The nerve that serves the face is a cranial nerve, while the nerve that serves the scalp arises in the neck and travels up to the scalp. It is possible that a neurologic cause could arise higher in the system, such as in the brain, but it would typically be causing other symptoms, rather than symptoms localized to one half of the head, as well as causing findings on neurologic examination.

Therefore, it is more likely that this is a non-neurologic cause of the tingling sensation. Certainly, an acute infection could cause the symptoms, but there would usually be other symptoms present. It can occur from neurologic effect of certain substances or medicine, such as alcohol. It also could be due to a skin condition that is affecting the skin of the face and scalp. Some people can have tingling from a metabolic condition, but this more often affects nerves elsewhere in the body, primarily the legs. Another common cause of tingling of the face and scalp is from anxiety or stress, but there is no test that can prove that this is the cause, so it is usually necessary to exclude other causes to say that it is due to anxiety.

If your GP is unable to clarify the cause of the symptoms, then it may be necessary to see a Neurologist for further evaluation.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
The question has appeared on the Question List again as awaiting expert action, but I do not see any follow-up questions.
Did you try to type a follow-up question?