Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hi, I have suffered depression and anxiety for yrs, but the

Customer Question

hi, I have suffered depression and anxiety for yrs, but the last four yrs I have been on and off getting better and then worse, I have developed ocd and I rely on alcohol on a night to calm me down, I have irrational thoughts and I cant stand them, I have now decided to not drink anymore as of today, and I am back in the gym, I used to drink heavy every night, I had the same anxiety and depression around 25 yrs ago and now I want to be free from this feeling its getting me down
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I am sorry that you are having so much difficulty with depression and anxiety.
What medicines have been previously tried to help with these problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

lorazaphan but in uk its hard to get medication from gp

Lorazepam is a good medicine for anxiety, particularly for short term use. There are some concerns with long term use, which is why it is frequently difficult to find a doctor willing to prescribe it for long term use.
Have you not been tried on any antidepressants?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no what kind should I try and what can I buy over the counter in uk

Thank you for the additional information.

There are many different antidepressants on the market, but if you have not yet been tried on any antidepressants, the usual first-line choice is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). There are several of these available, although none are available over the counter. Common examples include Zoloft, Paxil, and Celexa. The SSRIs are not only the first-line choice for depression, but are also the medicines recommended for long-term treatment of anxiety.

Regarding what is available over the counter, the best that can be done without a prescription are certain supplements that also may help improve serotonin levels in the brain. It is possible to take some nutritional supplements that are precursors to serotonin, such as 5-HTP and SAM-e. There also is an herbal supplement that works similar to SSRIs, called St John's wort, although it is much less potent. If someone is having more severe anxiety or depression, it is generally better to seek medical care and start on a prescription drug. However, if the symptoms are milder, then it would be OK to consider the use of supplements to see if the symptoms improve. You can then still see your doctor if the symptoms do not improve with supplements.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

don't feel anxios or depressed anymore just have intrusive thoughts from ocd, stopped drinking yesterday, it was my first day sober, now I want to get rid of these stupid thought and get my life back im doing a online cbt course

CBT is certainly one of the primary treatments for OCD, although the studies were done with live therapy sessions, rather than online courses. If medicines are used for OCD, the usual first-line medicines are the medicines that raise serotonin levels, such as the SSRIs discussed above. The over the counter supplements are not as often cited to help OCD as depression, but it would certainly be OK to try them to see if they help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi I tried citalopram for a week and it made me sick, so I am now back on lorazaphan for a month I am also doing hypnotherapy once a week

I have having ocd should lorazaphan at least calm me down and stop some of the constant intrusive thoughts

thanks

Lorazepam is usually better at easing the anxiety associated with the OCD, but not as good at controlling the intrusive thoughts.The lorazepam do not affect serotonin levels, so if the prescription medicines cannot be tolerated because of side effects, it may do better to try the supplements noted above. They are not as potent in the effect on serotonin as the SSRIs, but would have more of an effect than the lorazepam.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

last post I have SAMe 400 mill from swanson ultra is this suitable

thanks

Yes, that would be appropriate.