Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

hi am trying to understand my liver test results

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Dr.Customer:

Please can you give me all of your test results?

JACUSTOMER-3q100b01- :

ok hope I am doing this right

JACUSTOMER-3q100b01- :

AST 29u/L

JACUSTOMER-3q100b01- :

Serum ALT 43 iu/L

Dr.Customer:

I just want to let you know that this chat is going to end in 6 minutes (unless you pay more). (I wish there was a way I could control it, but there isn't). I can switch this to a question and answer type form (ie you'll send me info and I'll send back info - but not in a chat) if we run out of time.

JACUSTOMER-3q100b01- :

ok that would be very helpful if you could do that please thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok then shall I just type out all the results that I have in front of me

I don't see the rest of your lab values. Yes, it would be helpful if you let me see the rest of the values (really just for the case of being very thorough).

Meanwhile, I'll let you know that AST is within normal range, and ALT is only very slightly elevated. In some cases normal range is 20-60 which would put it in the normal range.

Are you on any medications? Some medications can cause a slightly high level. (other causes can include some changes to your liver, alcohol abuse, cirrhosis, or mononucleosis. Being that your AST is within normal range I am less concerned about those in the parentacces, and think that your elevated level might have to do with medication you are taking.)

Does this help? Are you looking for other/more information?

G-d Bless

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you here are the other results, serum ldh 546 u/L, serum gamma gt level 39 u/L, serum total bilirubin 5 umol/L, alkaline phosphate 82 iu/L, serum total protein 74 g/L, serum albumin 46 g/L I am concerned about it because I have been drinking far too much lately and am concerned about liver damage and wanting to make a big lifestyle change

Okay, now that I see the rest of your results I will change my answer. The LDH is very high. This is an indication that the liver is being damaged. The fact that the AST is not higher than the ALT (usually in alcoholics we see a higher AST than ALT) means that you have not YET pushed your liver to the point of no return. Between the slightly elevated ALT and the very elevated LDH and the fact that you know you are drinking too much, it definitely seems like your numbers will get worse. You do need to stop drinking before you kill your liver all together.

You mentioned a change in lifestyle. Do you have any plans on how you will make that change? What supports you can put in place?

Most doctors strongly recommend 12 step programs (such as AA) the vast majority of people will go back to drinking in most other ways of trying to quit. The best thing about the 12 step programs is that you are not doing it alone - and you have to answer to somebody. I hope you will be willing to go check out a program like this.

Also, if you are on any medications that might affect your liver you will need to talk to your doctor about this and possibly make changes.

Does this help? Is there anything further? Please make sure you are satisfied with the answers before you go to the rating so that you can mark my service as "excellent".

G-d Bless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help and advice do you think it is possible for me to repair my liver

If you stop drinking now your liver will have a chance to repair itself. But if you keep drinking you may bring it to the point of no return.

Do you have anything further?

G-d Bless
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you have been a great help and thank you, have just checked my serum cholesterol 5.4 mmol/L which I am guessing is too high again probably due to abusing alcohol - i am so frightened

It is scary to know you are doing damage to your body but hopefully this will be enough to scare you into getting sober - and using whatever tools are in your ability. Again, I STRONGLY recommend joining a 12 step program. Those tend to be the most successful at long term sobriety.
Drinking can cause very many scary, dangerous and painful problems.
Is there any way I can help you get on to the way to recovery?

G-d Bless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I have terrified myself enough thank you - now I have to get my liver back into shape again and I hope that I can do this thank you

I hope that you can calm down regarding the terrifiying yourself, and take this as an oportunity to get healthy!

If you have any further questions please feel free to come back and ask. I'll be off the computer after tomorrow until next week - but if you post a question I'll see it when I get back.

Please know that you can continue to ask questions after you've paid and given me an excellent rating :)

G-d Bless