Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

tongue has become swollen on one half the right side i have

tongue has become swollen on one half the right side i have no difficulty swallowing am taking antidepressants which are risperiden, phenelzine, lyrica and blood pressure tablets including perindripol and amlopidine. this has happended once before and the swelling went down in a few hours. can you tell me if this could be an allergic reaction to food or medication
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

Although it is unusual, we have been seeing more systemic allergic reaction localize to only one area. So the answer is that it is possible that it is an allergic reaction.

Dr. Charogat :

Do you remember what you were eating last time this happened? Or what you had eaten in the hours before?

Dr. Charogat :

If it is an allergic reaction it would also have me quite worried because of the location of the reaction. The tongue can swell enough to cause a complete blockage of the airways.

Dr. Charogat :

Has the swelling continued or has it stopped (ie when you sent the text you say that once side has gotten swollen - has that swelling increased since you sent the question a few minutes ago? )

Dr. Charogat :

For how long have you had the swelling this time?

Dr. Charogat :

This chat shows as only having 3 minutes left. I'd like to change it to a Q&A instead of a chat so that you aren't prompted to pay more (especially as we haven't really been chatting yet).

Customer:

had club sandwich for supper followed by lemon cream cake there was cheese in the sandwich but i cant think of anything that could have caused this, its only on one side of the tongue and i can swallow i dont know if this could be a bite of some kind i have had the swelling for a couple of hours

Dr. Charogat :

Has it been stable over the time you've had it?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Charogat :

I would think a bite that swelled would have more discomfort than just the swelling alone.

Dr. Charogat :

If you ate at home then you know what you put into the food. If you bought it then there are any number of things that could have been put in that normally you wouldn't add at home.

Customer:

any other causes

Customer:

im seeing my G.P. on wednesday and i will mention this to her

Customer:

is this consultation over?

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
I've changed this to a Q&A so that you do not have to pay extra in order for us to continue this dialogue.

Please rate my service once you are fully satisfied and would like to rate it as "Excellent service". Until you are that satisfied please continue letting me know what more I can tell you.
I see that our conversation has updated that you are going to be seeing your doctor on Wednesday. This is definitely something that you need to discuss with her (as you are planning to do). Meanwhile, if there is any increase in the swelling you need to make sure to get your self to an emergency department before it compromises your breathing.

It doesn't seem like we are really in a conversation anymore so I wanted to just leave you with this.

Please feel free to come back to continue when you want to.

I will be leaving the computer shortly, but will be back tomorrow morning.

G-d Bless