Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi there, My wife has noticed that I shake during the night

Hi there,
My wife has noticed that I shake during the night when I am asleep. Sometimes it is worse than at others - I think perhaps when I am more tired and stressed. This can wake her up although I am totally unaware of it. It has been going on for a long time. is this something I should be concerned about?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Are you over weight? Do you snore at night (ask your wife)? Do you feel tired and sleepy at daytime? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do snore I think but not excessively (my wife is far worse!) . I do tend to be a mouth breather. I'm maybe a tad overweight. 5'11".180 pounds. I don't feel particularly tired and sleepy during the day and have quite a lot of energy really.

I am 63 and still working - as a writer. I do get quite stressed.

I have had a bit of a virus recently and felt a bit shaky during the day which may have exacerbated things at night.

I'm on statins (rosuvastatin 10mcg and was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos disease, which was asymptomatic, so am on 50mcg levothyroxine.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Paul thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. What your wife has described is likely to be an apnoea attack which you get because of low oxygen going to your brain. This is called sleep apnoea syndrome and person getting this is never aware that he wakes up at night. Your mouth breathing indicates that you don't breath through nose and the cause can be there as well. Sleep apnoea can have cause in nose, throat or lower down. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you should sleep on your side and can put a pillow at your side to prevent sleeping on your back. You should visit a sleep specialist to get a sleep study done. Meanwhile visit an ENT specialist to look for the cause of mouth breathing. It is not necessary to have sleep apnoea in everyone who snore (this is for your wife). I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery