DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I was told I did not have myasthenia gravis after various tests

I was told I did not have myasthenia gravis after various tests (MRI myelogram, blood test) but the test for acetylchlorine receptor antibodies has come back at 2.43 and marked positive. I understand this is much higher than the normal range (up to 0.4) but much lower than usually shown in MG cases.
Is this likely to be a false positive or something else? My symptom is only ptosis in one eye. I am having another test today but the result won't be in for 3 weeks.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I am going to try and get spectacle props on Friday at Moorfields (I have an appointment).
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What other test for MG did you have specifically?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the other blood test included the word 'musk'. I had an MRI, MRA and electro mylogram.

Before these tests ordered by a neurologist I saw an opthalmologist and at that time there was no ptosis which is what I have now - Ijust felt my sight was odd and that my eyelids were trying to droop, though the other eye is fine now.

Thanks. *****

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The antibody is not definitive, as you have been told.
The emg and tensilon test should be sufficient.
Apparently these were negative.
I am not sure exactly what your question is at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The question was simply what reason could there have been for my high reading (though not very high) for the receptor antibodies other than MG? Anyway, I have taken another blood test and the result will come in about 3 weeks. Thanks for your answer. Val Gleave

(are you in the States?)

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You can have the low titer of antibodies for no reason at all.
This is true with antibodies in general.
Such elevations can be seen from medications, thymoma, liver disease and lambart eaton syndrome.
It can also be seen prior to the development of symptoms in MG.
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.