Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Sharp pain in lower right leg. Pain lasts 10 to 30 seconds

Sharp pain in lower right leg. Pain lasts 10 to 30 seconds and feels to be in the bone. Pain is intermittent and may only occur every two to three hours. No sign of any bruising
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you noticed anything that tends to elicit the pain?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Started hurting about one week ago.

Pain goes as quickly as it comes.

I take simvastatin for Cholesrerol.

Simvastatin can cause muscle pain.
Are you certain that this is in the bone and not the muscle attached to the bone?
I have not heard back from the last request for further information.

If you are certain that this is not in the muscle near the bone, then the adverse effect of simvastatin on muscles is not a primary concern. If the pain is in the muscle, then it would be appropriate to have a blood test done to assess muscle health, so it would be necessary to see your doctor.

The most often cause of brief sharp pains along the bone of the lower leg is an inflammatory condition, such as a tendinitis affecting the tendon that inserts onto the bone. This is most often seen as an overuse or degenerative process, similar to osteoarthritis. In this situation, although it would require a proper evaluation to make a definite diagnosis, it is reasonable to try some home interventions, including using an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, or the application of moist heat to the area. Since the pains are so brief, it would require the regular use of the medicine for several days to see if it prevents the pains.

If the pain persist, it would be appropriate to be seen at that time.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.