Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hoarseness in my voice

Customer Question

Hoarseness in my voice
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
How long has this been bothering you?
Are you having any associated symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a very bad chest infection and flu at Christmas , I had to have several antibiotic and ventolin , since then I get this horsemess in my voice from time to time , slight out of breath from time to time , no other symptoms
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's being bothering me since Christmas 2013 when I have very bad flu and chest infection , I took several antibiotics n ventolin inhaler , it is not all the time but comes and goes over last few months
Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possible causes of chronic recurrent hoarseness associated with slight shortness of breath. It could be related to chronic inflammation of the airways, including the larynx, which can occur from allergies or from substances that can irritate the airways, such as tobacco smoke. It is also possible for there to be some irritation of the larynx from acid reflux. Most people with acid reflux will have some heartburn, but there are some people with acid reflux that present with the sole symptoms related to respiratory symptoms, such as hoarseness, cough, or shortness of breath.

It is also possible that chronic or recurrent hoarseness can be due to a nodule or growth on the vocal cords, but this would be less likely to also cause shortness of breath. Hoarseness also can occur from conditions that press on the nerve to the larynx, such as from thyroid enlargement.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause of the hoarseness. However, if using the inhalers helps to ease symptoms when they occur, that would be strong evidence that the symptoms are related to chronic inflammation.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry , just one more thing , is it possible that the horseness is a result of the ventolin spray?

I’m sorry for the delay, but I had left the computer when I had not heard back from you for a while.

Hoarseness is not a typical side effect to Ventolin. It is possible that someone could be allergic to any medicine, including the Ventolin, and an allergy can be the cause of the chronic inflammation noted above. An allergy to Ventolin is very rare, but if you notice that the hoarseness or the shortness of breath gets worse when the Ventolin is used, it would be suspicious an allergy to the Ventolin could be the cause.