Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

hi can you kindly help me answer this question for me. i smell

hi can you kindly help me answer this question for me. i smell something burning but there was nothing on fire i dont know what is the cause
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this?

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, cough, headache, vomiting, nausea etc?

Customer:

this happened 3 weeks ago twice since then nothing

Dr. Hasan :

But you don't have it all the times?

Customer:

headache yes

Dr. Hasan :

Severe headache or just mild one?

Customer:

not all the time

Customer:

mild

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

Dealing with smell disorders is my specialty.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Hasan :

There can be two reasons.

Dr. Hasan :

It can be due to inflammation of the nerve which carries smell to the brain.

Dr. Hasan :

That nerve lies in the roof of nose and can get inflamed secondary to many things like sinus infection, allergies, recent cold etc.

Dr. Hasan :

Or it can be related to some brain lesion.

Customer:

is that something serious

Dr. Hasan :

In your case brain lesion is least likely due to absence of symptoms I have asked for.

Customer:

what is brain lesion

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover your symptoms are not persistent and that is also a good sign because in brain lesions symptoms are supposed to be persistent and progressive.

Dr. Hasan :

Brain lesion like some brain tumor.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't get scared, I have mentioned it for your guidance.

Dr. Hasan :

As per your symptoms, I am not suspecting it.

Dr. Hasan :

Because you don't have other symptoms.

Dr. Hasan :

and your symptoms are not there all the times.

Customer:

wow

Dr. Hasan :

In brain lesions the symptoms should be there all the times and never get better in between.

Dr. Hasan :

The point is what you should do?

Dr. Hasan :

You should see your doctor to get yourself examined and investigated.

Customer:

nice to know that thanks

Customer:

will surely do that

Dr. Hasan :

A short course of steroid pills or steroid nasal spray will be required to treat the inflammation of smell nerve.

Dr. Hasan :

Till you go, you can use over the counter tab aleve twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

it is anti inflammatory and can help.

Customer:

thanks will look for that

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else you want to ask?

Dr. Hasan :

I am here to assist you.

Customer:

no thanks for your help

Dr. Hasan :

You are welcome. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Are you with me?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you getting my messages?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Antou Sonko I am sorry I was not getting your reply in chat so I have shifted here. Please let me know if you have any further question. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery