Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My son Gregory,male,14/07/91..went for a Colonist test today...the

My son Gregory,male,14/07/91..went for a Colonist test today...the report diagnosis said:
Nodularity of terminal ileum and peri lymbathic inflamation of rectal mucosa?.Also they took
biopsy in 7 different areas..Also shows in the report:Mucosa:patchy mild congestion within the terminal ileum.
The Endocolonist test was given after 24 months of loose motions,Mucus P.R. and weight loss.
Cuold you explain the report please?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about his problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

The report has two main findings first one is the nodularity of the terminal ileum.

Dr. Hasan :

It means that small multipe nodules are see in the last part of his small intestine.

Dr. Hasan :

peri lymphatic inflammation of rectal mucosa means redness of the mucosa of rectum.

Dr. Hasan :

patchy congestion means there are areas of redness alternating with normal looking areas of his intestines.

Dr. Hasan :

The point is this that what does all this mean.

Dr. Hasan :

These findings and moreover his symptoms are consistent with inflammatory bowel disease.

Dr. Hasan :

It is further divided in to ulcerative colitis and crohns disease.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry that he has been going through all this for 2 years.

Dr. Hasan :

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can be controlled with medications.

Dr. Hasan :

The medicines that can be started include sulfasalazine, steroids etc.

Dr. Hasan :

The other drugs include immune suppressor drugs like cyclosporine.

Dr. Hasan :

These drugs will control the symptoms but as he has lost weight and essential minerals, he will also need vitamin B12, iron, calcium, vitamin D etc.

Customer:

Are the Biopys looking for cancerous cells?

Dr. Hasan :

No biopsy is to confirm the diagnosis of IBD.

Dr. Hasan :

None of his endoscopy findings are consistent with cancer.

Dr. Hasan :

So please don't stress yourself for cancer.

Dr. Hasan :

He doesn't has cancer.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry

Dr. Hasan :

Are you giving him anything to reduce the diarrhea?

Customer:

no,it is in the hands of the dr.,he take lots of anity diarrhea tablets of the counter at the chemist

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry, after the biopsy, the doctor will recommend one or more of the drugs that I have mentioned and your son will improve significantly and will gain weight as well.

Dr. Hasan :

The main thing in his treatment was the delay that he has encountered otherwise an earlier colonoscopy would have clarified the things quite early.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery