Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

i have pain in my knee for the past six months. It was previously

i have pain in my knee for the past six months. It was previously worse when kneeling but now I am unable to kneel and the pain is present when walking and sometimes at rest. A recent x ray did not show any abnormalities. I have not suffered any knee injuries but have a job which requires kneeling. I have taken ibuprofen with little effect. What do you think is the cause of my knee pain and can you suggest any treatments. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there

Customer:

Customer:

Sorry I am still here. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. The other expert has opted out. This could be a torn meniscus--the cartilage inside your knee. Less likely would be a partially torn cruciate ligament inside the knee. X-rays only show bone and not soft tissue so you need an MRI to look for those and I would have you see a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a hands-on treatment program.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. If this is the cause would it not be painful constantly? Also I do not remember hurting myself and I have not done any sports. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, those problems don't always give constant pain. With a meniscus tear it may only be a problem when a piece of the torn cartilage gets caught in the joint. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.