DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, I've now had itchy anus for 9 years, with itch also

Hello, I've now had itchy anus for 9 years, with itch also moving at times to the opening of my vagina. All previous swabs showed nothing. Scratching and itchiness led to many fissures and pain. I had treated it with steroid creams. For the past few months I've now had painful sex (deep burning pain on penetration), itching around vagina opening, horrible shooting anal pain on clitoris stimulation, random holding cramps (some lasting hours) in my anus (like a ring cramp), and sometimes shooting pain up my vagina.
I have had a Mirena coil in for 5 years due to be taken out now. On speculum insertion or rather opening (to locate the threads and remove the coil), I had a terrible pain like during penetration and the procedure had to be stopped several times (whilst I had had lots of procedures like that in the past and never painful). The threads could not be seen so I will now see a doctor and a scan may be required to locate the coil.
My primary physician said that I have vaginismus (I disagree) and sent me to see a doctor at a vulval clinic. The looked at all the areas, diagnosed fissures but said my vagina opening looked healthy and so a gynecologist didn't have to see me. They said I had psoriasis and told me to continue with steroids. They also gave me some small dose of antipsychotic for vaginismus but I'm not taking it.
I'm worried I may have something more sinister linking all these different symptoms together, like HPV infection (I heard this could lead to this anal ring like pain). I had a CMV infection 11 years ago.
Thank you for any light you could shed on this for me, it is really affecting my life.
Stephanie
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you have described, but I am not sure what your question is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I would just like to know what is wrong.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, we do not diagnose on the site.
and of course we can not diagnose you without exam or testing.
Let me ask you
Has a biopsy of the skin been sent to the lab?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it has not. Would you be able to tell me at all what these symptoms could show?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Psoriasis makes perfect sense, and it can be associated with fissures.
But a biopsy would rule out things like lichen sclerosis.
It seems to me you have diagnoses...I am not sure what you are asking here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand how these deep pains can be related to psoriasis.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Vaginisum causes deep pains, and it is often psychological, and has nothing to do with the itching.
Have you actually seen a dermatologist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have. I don't have and never had any psychological issues, let alone related to sex. So it cannot be vaginismus. And the pain is not only located in the vagina. And it happens when there is no sexual activity at all. I have not had any sex for 6 months due to these problems yet the pain persists and appears in different areas. So how can it be related to sex?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Enometriosis is often missed and can cause deep pain.
Have you discussed this with an ob/gyn doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I haven's been seen by a gyn doctor. I will go and see my doctor and discuss again.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.
As I said, endometriosis can explain most of this, but is often not diagnosed.
I would ask for a referral.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.