Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Tension headaches

Tension headaches
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what's your question please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I had some difficulty with a number of people a long time ago and I still get intense tension headaches on a daily basis which are moderate in nature. So much so, that my eyes become bloodshot and the muscles around my scalp seem to contract. Is there anything that I can do? Paracetamol does not have any effect.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have but he wants to put me on medication that I am not aware of nor want to try.Are there are prescription muscle relaxants that I can use that target tension headaches only? and that are not addictive? I do not take medication at the moment.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. I would try giving you either flexeril or Baclofen, neither of which is addictive. You can also try topical capsaicin cream which is over the counter and effective for tension headaches.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The doctor prescribed low dose amitriptyline. I dont want to take this really because it impairs with brain function. Are these medications that you mention available in Ireland?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes they are but you'd still need a prescription for them. And they don't cause the possible problems that amitriptylene can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats what I thought....OK, Ill go back to him and see what he says...

Thanks..........

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure and keep in touch but please remember to rate my service to you