DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have suffered from a shoulder and rib injury for the last

I have suffered from a shoulder and rib injury for the last 17 months now. I have had an xray of my ribs (all is fine and not broken), an ultrasound of the shoulder which showed possible rotator cuff tearing, MRI scan which reported possible bursitis. I have not had confirmation on what is the problem in my ribs, they are very tender to touch and cause me a lot of pain. It is only the left side and mainly around where my scapular meets. And prominent at the front of the chest, especially the color bone is very sore to touch and general pain radiating from that area.
Now I've been told of possible tietze syndrome or costochondritis. But not an answer on how to fix this problem. Is there something I can do to prove what the problem is and what are my options for treatment.
So far treatment I have had cortozone Injection Into the front of the shoulder and seen an osteopath that has helped free up my ribs for more movement.
Any advice or help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Adrianne
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
You have to make sure this is not a spinal disc problem; MRi is needed for that.
As far as your diagnosis
Anti inflammatories
Anti inflammatory diet
The correct physical therapy.
This should be designed by an MD specialist, of physical medicine and rehabilitation, this is a type of doctor who is trained in manual medicine as well as medications, injections, etc.
With time, this should resolve.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply,

I forgot to mention the medication I have been on and off for the last 17 months. Which are- methocarbomol 3x a day.

Co-codymol 3x a day

Naproxyn 2x a day. I have been taking anti-inflammatory for over a year, will it still improve after being in this much discomfort for so long now.?

I have been referred to an "orphepedic surgeon" I am concerned with my ribs especially as it is very difficult for me to wear tight clothing such as Bras or take deep breaths, the area is still too tender to touch.

What questions should I be asking my doctor regarding this? Also surgery option was mentioned, I am willing to go and pay private to get this fixed just unsure which step or what medical field I should seek.

Adrianne.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I see no indication for surgery.
Apparently you have had no therapy at all.
I would ask for that referral.
I would ask for an MRI of the thoracic and cervical spine as well.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.