Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Have been suffering from CIDP for 3 years now. Taking

Customer Question

Have been suffering from CIDP for 3 years now. Taking 150mgs of Azathioprine in the morning and 900 mgs of Gabapentin in the evenings. The pain is however geting much worse. Sleep is also difficult. What else can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear of your problem - CIDP is a very painful condition and very difficult to treat.
Azathioprine is an immunosuppresant and will suppress whatever autoiimmune condition is causing the inflammation and the pain. Since it is not working well, you can consider Intravenous Immune Globulins (IVIG) - these are protective immunoglobins obtained from healthy volunteers and can be readily given through an arm vein.
You can even consider plasmapheresis - a procedure in which the blood is exchanged after removing the antibodies and complements which cause the inflammation. It is quite effective .
Since Gabapentine is not being very effective, you can ask your doctor to see if tegretol will - It acts on teh nerves similar to gabapentine but may be more effective i some people.
Antidepressants like Amitriptylline and Pregabalin has also helped in some people.
Treatment for CIDP needs to be individualized - while some may respond to one drug, others may not and a trial and error of the various drugs available will help.
Hello Ralph,
I notice that you have not seen my answer as yet. Would you like more help?