Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

After 2 long coach trips in a week I am suffering lower left

After 2 long coach trips in a week I am suffering lower left side back pain just above left cheek and rising to almost under arm. I have rubbed in. Voltarol pain-eze and kept hot water bottle against it. Am I doing right and what is it likely to be? This is for the last week.
Joan Marsh
Aged 82 years
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Do you have numbness in thigh or leg?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you have associated swelling?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Grade 7
No numbness
I am on lots of medication: diabetic,high blood pressure,anaemia, high cholestrol, antidepressants
A little swelling but not much
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
Your symptoms could be related with Nerve compression or it can be muscle pull.
Sometimes, lots of touring could result in nerve compression, and has resulted in such pain.
It may usually take 2-3 weeks for symptoms to get completely resolve.
Kindly follow these measures-
1. Back brace can restrict movements, and help in quick recovery.
2. You should avoid any lifting or pushing / pulling weights or heavy objects.
3. Stretching exercises for your lower back can help you feel better and may help to relieve nerve root compression.
4. You can take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like Short wave diathermy,Infra red,Wax therapy ,these will be helpful.
5. You should continue with application of pain gel and take OTC Tylenol. It can be taken in dose of 1000 mg every 6 to 8 hours.
6. You should continue with hot water bag.
7. In case symptoms doesn't start to next 2 days, then you may be prescribed with Vicodin, It contains acetaminophen and hydrocodone and will help to resolve symptoms.
Please follow above measures, and see your doctor for further management of this issue.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.