Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I'm experiencing blood on semen. I'm working away from home

Hi I'm experiencing blood on semen. I'm working away from home and would like to know if I can go to chemist to get antibiotics
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. While this may represent an infection like a prostate infection, it's more likely that this is not a serious problem but it should be evaluated with an exam and some studies. It could represent either testicular or prostate cancer. You need a urinalysis and a urethral culture as well as a prostate exam and an ultrasound of the testicles. If you were just to go to a chemist then doxycycline 100mg twice a day or Septra DS twice a day for two weeks would be my choices for appropriate treatment .