Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi I have had a crazy acid stomach for 3 months, lots of

Customer Question

I have had a crazy acid stomach for 3 months, lots of stomach burning, some reflux for a time but that has stopped, in the last 3 weeks i have a burning sensation in a very specific bit of my middle back, it sometimes radiates further out, it's almost constant but varies in intensity from mild to very painfull but not excrutiating, it seems to come from my stomach straight through to my back but my stomach is less painfull, my stomach continues to have moments of extra acidity that are not always related to the back burning, my back seems worse when i sit or lie flat.
I have tried many PPI AND H2 drugs to stop the acid but none have worked!
Does this sound like an Ulcer? or worse a posterior penetrating ulcer going into my pancreas?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

long term stomach acid and gastritis can eventually lead to a stomach ulcer.

Dr. David :

you need to see your doctor and get a better control of your stomach acid symptoms before they get worse and turn into an ulcer.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

I have been trying but medications like PPIs or H2s are not working, what do you think the burnning in my middle back is suggestive of? i have no reflux or heartburn so it's not to do with that, just an acid stomach

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

presumably i already have an ulcer?

Dr. David :

acid in the stomach can cause pain radiating to the back.

Dr. David :

you could have an early stomach ulcer as well.

Dr. David :

you need to see a GI doctor and get testing to check for H Pylori bacteria in your stomach.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

Would a penetrating ulcer into the pancreas be more painfull? i have been tested for H Pylori and i don't have it, i do have Lyme Disease, just confirmed bit not yet treated, which i think is the reason for my uncontrollable stomach

Dr. David :

stomach ulcers would not penetrate into the stomach .

Dr. David :

that would mean you have a hole in your stomach and you would have even worse pain.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

into the pancreas?

Dr. David :

stomach ulcers would not penetrate into the pancreas.

Dr. David :

you can get blood testing to check amylase and lipase levels to see if your pancreas is inflamed with pancreatitis.

Dr. David :

but I bet it is your bad gastritis stomach inflammation which is causing pain going to your back.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

i thought the pancreas was behind the stomach therefore a penetrating ulcer could go into the pancreas

Dr. David :

no, the pancreas is below the stomach.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

other than ppi and h2 drugs what can i do?

Dr. David :

change your diet.

Dr. David :

avoid sodas, alcohol, spicy foods, fatty foods, black pepper, curry, tomato sauces, acidic juices.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

tried that, my stomach has virtually no control over acid control regardless of what i eat but i have cut out all irritating foods and drink anyway

Dr. David :

you should get blood gastrin levels checked.

Dr. David :

sometimes you can have production of too much gastrin hormone which can cause the stomach to produce too much stomach acid.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

Would you recomend carafate?

Dr. David :

you can try carafate

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

so you think my middle back burning is at worst an early ulcer?

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

its kind of more to the left

Dr. David :

I think it is due to acid coming up and causing esophagitis.

Dr. David :

and inflammation of your esophagus

Dr. David :

is it upper back or lower back?

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

but my esophagos feels fine, sternum level but on back

Dr. David :

esophagitis can cause referred pain to the back.

Dr. David :

or you could have a pinched nerve in your upper back from your spine.

Dr. David :

a stomach ulcer wouldn't cause pain all the way up between your sternum.

JACUSTOMER-5ym7v7ze- :

its definately related to stomach, it started after a very intense amount of stomach acid one night

Dr. David :

you could have a stomach ulcer

Dr. David :

are you willing to see a GI doctor and get an upper endosocpy.

Dr. David :

you might have to wait to get an endoscopy in the UK

Dr. David :

you need to get gastrin levels checked.

Dr. David :

I have to go see a patient now.

Dr. David :

I will be back.

Dr. David :

ok.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
thanks for the positive feedback

let me know if you have other questions

thanks for using JustAnswer.com