Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello my son who is 27 was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome

Customer Question

Hello my son who is 27 was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when he was 12. Since then he has had episodes of numbness in his legs, twitches in all of his limbs problems with his kidneys and bowels. When he was 15 he was running at school and his left leg went completely numb and he fell, an ambulance was called and e was taken to hospital. An MRI was taken and I was told his back would need an operation after he was 21. Since then he has experienced an array of symptons that has seemed to baffle the doctors. Last week he had an MRI of his brain - the results show he has an Arachnoid cyst, (albeit a small one) has cns inflammation, possible Transverse Myelitis and Cerebellar hypoplasia - where do we go from here please?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Sorry to hear about your son.

Dr Basu :

His symptoms are consistent with transverse myelitis which can cause lg weakness, tingling, numbness, change bowel and bladder function.

Dr Basu :

Arachnoid cyst is too small to cause symptoms.

Dr Basu :

Also signs of inflammation in the brain does suggest autoimmune nature of the problem

Dr Basu :

That means his immune system is reacting against his neural tissues.

Dr Basu :

This needs to be treated with immuno suppressive regimen.

Dr Basu :

The first line of treatment is intravenous corticosteroid in high doses like Methyl prednisolone 1000 mg daily for 5 days.

Dr Basu :

Plasma exchange also combined in case of worsening symptoms to relieve the motor symptoms mainly weakness.

Dr Basu :

Then a chronic maintenance therapy is considered with any of the following medications:

Dr Basu :

1. Azathioprine 150 to 250 mg daily.

Dr Basu :

2. Methotrexate 15 to 20 mg weekly

Dr Basu :

3. Mycophentolate 2 to 3 gram daily.

Dr Basu :

An experienced neurologist should be consulted at the earliest to start the above treatment regimen.

Dr Basu :

This will bring about rapid improvement in his condition.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Dr Basu :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Neurological Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu : Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Dr Basu : Sorry to hear about your son.
Dr Basu : His symptoms are consistent with transverse myelitis which can cause lg weakness, tingling, numbness, change bowel and bladder function.
Dr Basu : Arachnoid cyst is too small to cause symptoms.
Dr Basu : Also signs of inflammation in the brain does suggest autoimmune nature of the problem
Dr Basu : That means his immune system is reacting against his neural tissues.
Dr Basu : This needs to be treated with immuno suppressive regimen.
Dr Basu : The first line of treatment is intravenous corticosteroid in high doses like Methyl prednisolone 1000 mg daily for*****Basu : Plasma exchange also combined in case of worsening symptoms to relieve the motor symptoms mainly weakness.
Dr Basu : Then a chronic maintenance therapy is considered with any of the following medications:
Dr Basu : 1. Azathioprine 150 to 250 mg daily.
Dr Basu : 2. Methotrexate 15 to 20 mg weekly
Dr Basu : 3. Mycophentolate 2 to 3 gram daily.
Dr Basu : An experienced neurologist should be consulted at the earliest to start the above treatment regimen.
Dr Basu : This will bring about rapid improvement in his condition.
Dr Basu : Best wishes,
Dr Basu : It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile: