Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My tonsil on the left side of my throat has swollen up and

My tonsil on the left side of my throat has swollen up and is blocking my throat. I can still swallow and eat, and there is no pain except mild discomfort as i can feel my tonsil on the back of my tongue.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Can you please upload a picture here? You can do it as follows.
1. Click the paperclip icon
2. Click the Browse icon
3. Click the Browse button
4. Select your file and click Open
5. Click OK
6. Click Insert
7. Click Save Changes on this page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Can you please depress your tongue with your finger and then take a better view. I am an Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon and can assist you. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Rebecca, since how long you have this problem? Do you feel any difficulty or pain while opening your mouth? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had it for about a week, however i had tonsillitis in early august and my tonsil didn't really decrease in size after it had swelled during the tonsillitis. I don't have any difficulty or pain opening my mouth

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Rebecca I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. You are developing peri tonsillar abscess in your swollen tonsil. It is an abscess that forms basically in the loose space around the tonsil. It will keep on increasing and can cause further problems. Sometime there can be just inflammation and no actual abscess. Doctor examining you can determine this. But one thing is for sure that you need to visit ER as you may need drainage of that abscess. If doctor confirms the abscess even antibiotics without drainage are not going to work. So please don't ignore this. You can use OTC tab aleve till you go as it will give a better pain control. I reassure you that you don't need to be stressed for anything serious and you will be perfectly fine after treatment. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards