Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Sometimes I go a night without sleep, without going to bed.

Sometimes I go a night without sleep, without going to bed. Not often but my schedule dictates it sometimes. The next day if I get chance I get a couple of hours sleep in the afternoon. Whenever I have a small sleep on the afternoon having not gone to bed the night before I get heart palpitations. I notice this during the sleep which is restless and intermittent and also for a short while afterwards. Is this normal, what about having no sleep the night before specifically is making my heart do this when I rest the day after? Many thanks. I
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Yes this is normal
Usually when you relax the heart slows down
This causes escape beats to happen. These are the extra beats that you feel.
I would get a holter monitor (wearable ECG) from your doctor to be sure but I suspect it is not worrisome
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)