Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm worried sick for a long time 42 years in fact.cant see

Customer Question

I'm worried sick for a long time 42 years in fact.cant see a light at end of tunnel. In 1972 I had unprotected sex with an african boy. Two years later I got tested for gonnorea and it was neg.a year later I developed a pain in my side which the doc thought was isalpingitis. I was treated. 18 months later I was married with a baby who had sticky eyes with no redness but dint respond to clorymycetin. 15 years later 3mths after birth of last baby I had septic arthritis. What caused this. Could I still have something, my husband had no symptoms. Please please help. I had 2 other children with sticky eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. First question--have you had any tests run to see what might be the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have had tests at private clinics and all negative. Could I still have an infection 40 yrs later. What caused the septic arthritis. Nothing gre on tests.please don't reply to email address as my husband looks at it.plase help. Was the sticky eyes conjunctivitis? Can Lowe abdominal pain be caused by other things ?test for uti was neg. had cervicitis as well 38 yrs ago 2 yrs after exposure.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like. Sticky eyes are just conjunctivitis--either viral or bacteria--and that is seen in lots of children and doesn't imply any problem with their mother. No, if you test negative now with all the STD tests then you don't have an infection you got 40 years ago. Low abdominal pain could be from an ovarian cyst or irritable bowel syndrome or endometriosis but that wouldn't be an infection. As for the septic arthritis, that can just happen, sometimes from something as simple as pharyngitis or a urinary tract infection. I think you worry a bit too much about this and I certainly don't see any reason for you to be worried about a smoldering STD which obviously you don't have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had no tests for clamydia until recently. Cud I have had. Clamydia then..? Septic arthritis is so uncommon for some1 of 38 yrs old isn't i? Do many have it.?my children had sticky eye when they were two days old. I thought they had to have red eye for conjunctivititis,how long do these diseases stay for if not getting proper treatment.? Please tell me the truth.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, I don't think you had chlamydia then and even if you did it wouldn't show up that many years later. Yes, septic arthritis is rare but I assume that yours was diagnosed with a joint aspiration and culture and that would have shown if it were something like chlamydia or gonorrhea. You don't have to have a red eye with viral conjunctivitis. You really should just discuss all of this with your doctor so you won't be worried.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They didn't check for gonnerea with the septic arthritis . Clamydia doesn't cause it. Can irritable bowel cause a dull ache above pubic bone? Can cervicitis re due to other causes..?i had it 3 yrs after contact. How long does clamydia and gonnerea last if not treated.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Do you mean they didn't aspirate the joint and send the fluid for culture? If not, how did they diagnose septic arthritis? Yes to the IBS question. Cervicitis doesn't have to be from an infection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They did aspirated and sent fluid for culture but requested to tested for only 3 bugs not gonnerea. They were neg. That was 20 yrs after exposure.was that too long to have bug? Thak u fo answer do many babies have sticky eye in hospital after two days. Didn't see anyi else with it. Worried since.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That would have been much too long for gonorrhea to cause a septic arthritis. Yes, again, it's not infrequent in newborns and it can just be that their tear ducts haven't fully formed and not an infection at all. Again, I think you've worried yourself much too long about this and just ask your doctor the same questions you've asked me--I'm sure he'll agree you're worrying over nothing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They treated the sticky eye with antbiotics so must have been infection. There was a greenish discharge from their eyes. Also forgot to say I had a greenish yellowish discharge ffor many years.doc said it was ok until I found it wasn't normal. What could cause this ....?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Was the discharge cultured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes and they cudnt find anything. That was b4 clamydia was tested for." Does clamydia cause that sort of discharge ..yellowish greenish.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It can but it can also cause very little in the way of symptoms, but, before we go any further what exactly is worrying you now after all I've said?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Didn't think clamydia caused that colour
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I said it can but again, what are you concerned about now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
N.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Take care then