Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I thought I had diorrhea but mostly blood came out - how do

I thought I had diorrhea but mostly blood came out - how do I treat this? I have been taking small doses of aspirin to treat blood pressure /cholestorol
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question.
The answer depends on your age. If you are above 50, then the most likely cause of rectal bleeding is diverticulosis (pockets in the colon common with age) or hemorrhoids
Aspirin will definitely increase your risk of bleeding.
The best thing to do is stop aspirin (unless you are taking it for a history of heart attack or stroke). If it is just a preventative, in 99% of the cases it can be stopped
The other thing is to see a doctor right away for an exam of the rectum/anus. Many times, this simple exam can find the cause of bleeding.
Try to drink water to keep your blood volume up until you see a doctor.
This isn't something that should be managed at home.
But to reassure you, most cases are benign.
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)