Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had severe chest pains for the past 4 weeks, my chest

I have had severe chest pains for the past 4 weeks, my chest feels sore. I also have clear phgelm coming from my throat when I wake up. Dr says it is acid reflux and has given me anti acids. I am worried it may be something more sinister? I have uncomfortable feeling in my chest and throat. I feel awful thinking about it. I am only 26.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you first tell me more about the chest pains? I assume your doctor did an EKG to check your heart? Do the antacids help at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I woke up a few weeks ago with pain in my sternum which was agregated on resting and when upon movement was better. EKG was fine. The sternum pain has gone but pain is mostly above my breasts. I wouldnt describe it as painful. Uncomfortable. Dr inititally said perhaps it is a muscle pull. But I have been drs a number of times. Chest xray clear as I have had a cough too. Bloods fine. But I keep coughing pheglm. Antiacids havnt made the chest pain go away no.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Alsha--any actual tenderness to the touch anywhere on your chest? The pain is right on your sternum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The pain is above my sternum, Below my throat and collarbone are but directly above my breasts. I do feel it when I move my chin towards.

I also have an uncomfortable feeling around my neck and shoudlers.Occasionally I have felt the pain around my back. I have experienced belching. I am just wondering If I have had the anti acids for a few days surely there should be some sort of ease from the discomfort?

I am not sure if this is related, but a few weeks before the pain started I had a glass of fresh lemon water before bed for about 7days,

Dr diagnosed acid reflux on the basis when he felt my stomach I had pain directly below the rib cage area and I coughed,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Alsha, and we can continue after this if you'd like. Yes, the antacids should have made some difference by now if this were a reflux problem. There's a possibility that this is costochondritis--an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum, but usually there's tenderness in that area. This may be a disk problem either in your neck or your upper back and a nerve root compression is causing your pain, so I would get an MRI of your cervical and thoracic spine to look for that. All that said, even with a normal EKG I can't fully rule out a cardiac problem, so I would also get an echocardiogram and a stress test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To be honest, I have been so stressed in thinking I may have the big C. Which is not helping I guess. I have had an ECG which was normal. The thing is I wouldnt describe it as pain but more as a discomfort at times aggregated by certain foods. Like a chocolate will increase the coughing also the Phelgm. I have been going out of my mind feeling I have the C of some sort.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand Alsha but I can promise you this isn't cancer. There still may be an element of reflux here and I would try a course of Nexium and sulcrafate to deal with that.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have also lost about 5lbs since this started, I felt better a few days ago but unfortunately due to the food I had. (fried) the chest pain came back. Does the Phelgm link in with the acid reflux?

I just read a story online about a lady who had cancer of the ospheogal and she had chest pains only and no acid reflux symtoms. So it scared me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, reflux can cause coughing and phlegm. And again, nothing about this makes me think of cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much. You have reassured me. What would you suggest as my next steps? Do I wait for the anti acids to kick in for another week or see my doctor sooner? Dr feels perhaps I am stressing too much and this could also be a cause.

To summarise my symptoms are the following.

clear phelgm/ sometimes yellow

dry cough often after food

upper back, neck and chest discomfort and pain.

Belching after eating and drinking.

Waking up sore.

Chest discomfort directly below collar pain central and sternum area.

lost 5lbs so far.

Can you give me a summary too please so we can conclude this well.

(I am a lawyer by profession)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'd give the antacids more time and nothing about this sounds very urgent to me
In summary,
1) Some of this is likely reflux and you may need different medications for
that
2) Not all of your symptoms are consistent with just reflux and I would get
MRI's of your cervical and thoracic spines to look for a disk problem
3) While cardiac problems aren't likely, I'd get an echocardiogram and a
stress test just to fully rule that out