DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease for 14 years.Everything

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease for 14 years.Everything was fine . I barely noticed the illness.And then some 20 months ago iawoke to find that my symptoms had taken a sudden nosedive.It was quite sudden it was substantial and it was uniform The disease then accelerated rapidly Every week there was something i could not do which i cvould the previous week I am now housebound N obody can tell me what it was, If this happened to a patient of yours what possib le explanations could there be and what steps would you take to find out It is not the progress of the disease of course because parkinsons progress is much more gradual Could it have been some virus or infection some poison Around this time i suffered a bereavement Could this have caused a depression which remained untreated?
This question is aimed at a neurosurgeon
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
In fact parkinson's can progress gradually with the patient compensating until the Parkinson's then progresses rapidly. This is not that uncommon.
What medications are you on?
Have you had a head CT or MRI?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

madopar

yes

every one was surprised at the sudden acceleration b ecause presumably not common

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
And any findings on the MRI?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
This pretty much rules out another degenerative process.
I have seen a number off patients go with minimal effects of parkinson's for 10 or 12 years, then progress more rapidly.
Why this is we do not know, except that everyone is an individual.
A lack of medical treatment, lack of physical therapy, lack of proper diet, lack of balance training therapy, etc. can all contribute.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.