Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am frustrated with the spinning feeling that i'm having with

I am frustrated with the spinning feeling that i'm having with Labyrinthitus condition - is there anything that can help please?
I have had this 3 times in a year. i was prescribed anti-biotics the first time. Obviously it has not got rid of the trapped fluid in the inner ear which causes the dizziness when dislodged.
i would like to know what causes the fluid to dislodge.
This 3rd time my own doctor has given me some head exercises to do, with the hope of dispersing the fluid so it can't cause me problems. i have been doing them for 2 weeks now.
Have you anything to suggest that will cure it please?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Have you visited ENT specialist?

Dr. Hasan :

How long the spinning sensation lasts once it start? Seconds, minutes, hours or days?

Dr. Hasan :

Any decreased hearing or ear ringing?

Dr. Hasan :

Waiting for your reply.

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

I was sent to ENT department when my ear troubles first began 3 years ago. my ear felt like it was blocked and when singing i could not hear my own voice properly. if i push up the skin just beside the ear, it seems to clear it & i can then hear clearly - but only whilst i lift it. the ENT checked for brain tumour etc.

Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Are you on any motion sickness medicines?

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

sorry - i clicked return before finishing! the spinning sensation lasts days. this time round it began 3 weeks ago, and i had days when it wasn't so bad with a few almost clear spells. this last Wed afternoon was the first time i felt normal again, until Thursday eve (last night) and it's come back and has not stopped feeling like I've just stepped off a spinning roundabout. my ear feels 'full'. i was given anti-sickness tablets they help for the sickness feeling but don't stop the dizziness.

Dr. Hasan :

Which tablets?

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

prochlorperazine 5mg

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

I am myself an ENT specialist and can assist you.

Dr. Hasan :

There are few aspects that I would like to address.

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms the possibility of having Menieres disease should be considered in your case.

Dr. Hasan :

This can be labrynthitis but can be menieres as well

Dr. Hasan :

What you can do yourself.

Dr. Hasan :

There is a natural product called Cocculus compositum

Dr. Hasan :

It can be used three times a day and it can help you a lot.

Dr. Hasan :

It is all natural so no major side effects

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

just for your interest, i had a heavy cold on a short flight to Sweden 3 years ago. my ear seemed to burst & was agony. i was also sobbing on the flight as my daughter was getting married to live in Sweden & although a happy event, it also came home to me how far away she was going. i am not sure whether the sudden extremely sharp pain in that ear combined with the flu-symtoms is what has caused bacterial fluid to be trapped in the inner ear?

Dr. Hasan :

Now the point is what you should do to further to stop this.

Dr. Hasan :

Irrespective of the cause you can be started on vestibular rehabilitation exercises to help your vertigo.

Dr. Hasan :

Ask your doctor get your hearing tests as well to rule out menieres.

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

thanks for your suggestion of a product - i will definitely try it. also thank you for the exercise suggestion. i forgot to mention that i have had a slight temperature most days & about 4 days during this spell with migraine & temperature 101 degrees. would this be the fluid moving around the labyrinth?

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. Yes this can be due to fluid moving around the labyrinth.

Dr. Hasan :

Please follow my suggestions and visit your ENT again.

Dr. Hasan :

and don't get stressed, you will be fine. You just need to move on with your treatment

Dr. Hasan :

My best wishes are for you

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else you want to ask?

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

is it stress or work pressure that can cause the condition to flare up? i have been looking after my mum after an op & also have my own family to care for (5 boys) or is it just an infection trapped and nobody knows how it flares up?

Dr. Hasan :

It's not a trapped infection.

Dr. Hasan :

It gets flare up because of stress.

Dr. Hasan :

Other factors like chocolate, tea and coffee can also flare it up

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

ok, thanks for that - i did wonder about stress. interesting about the food items though.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes food items can be related here.

Dr. Hasan :

All the best :).

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

just one more question i was wondering about. if it is Labyrinthitus - each spell of it i have, does that mean it is slowly being got rid of over the year? or if Meniere's is that life-long condition?

Dr. Hasan :

Labrynthitis usually doesn't recur like this

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

sorry where do i get the vestibular rehabilitation exercises from or is that what i am doing now with the exercises my doctor gave me?

Dr. Hasan :

I suspected mineres because it comes in bouts like you are having.

Dr. Hasan :

There are youtube videos about these exercises, you can follow those videos.

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

thank you very much for your help - it has been very reassuring & helpful to talk to you as an ENT specialist. i will now act on what you have suggested and i have been referred to the ENT dept - just waiting for an appointment. would it be worth going private for this or not? i do have health insurance cover.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

I would not suggest you to go privately. It's a long process so it's better to get it treated under insurance.

Dr. Hasan :

Better wait for the appointment.

Dr. Hasan :

You got my point?

JACUSTOMER-t5i1p1p8- :

ok - thanks for the advise, much appreciated.

Dr. Hasan :

:) you are always welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

You can rate my answer in the rating menu given on this page

Dr. Hasan :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Dr. Hasan :

I am not getting your response.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Hasan

I tried to order the cocculus compositum from a mail order homeopathic co and they said I need to find out what dosage & what potency I should have. also, they only stock item called cocculus in either tablet or liquid form. is this the correct item for my condition & what potency & dose should I have please?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Yes it's the right medicine and you need 300 mg two times a day. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again, I appreciate your help. Regards Jean.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Most welcome