Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

What is the best treatment for urinary tract infection caused

What is the best treatment for urinary tract infection caused by stricture dilitation where I cannot get to my GP for antibiotics as I am on holiday.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

Do you mean that treatment without antibiotics? Have you had a urine analysis and also culture and sensitivity done? Your age and sex? Present symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unable to get to doctor for antibiotics which is the usual treatment, no urine analysis as yet for this outbreak. Age 60' male, symptoms are pain on urinating. Hope to visit doctoe early next week.
Dear customer,

As you know that antibiotics are the mainstay of treatment for an post treatment urinary tract infection, and also according to some doctors if this infection is not treated properly the stricture may recur. Hence there is no alternative treatment. You need to have your urine analysed and culture specific antibiotics need to be prescribed. If you cannot see your doctor, you need to go to the emergency and get this infection managed now. Please do not delay.

Regarding alternative treatment there is some evidence, though this has not been proved, that cranberry juice may have infection-fighting properties and drinking it daily may help prevent urinary tract infections.

Drinking plenty of water to dilute your urine is beneficial and helps flush out bacteria.
However do avoid drinks such as coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks containing citrus juices and caffeine until your infection has cleared since these may irritate your bladder, aggravating your frequent or urgent need to urinate.
Also application of a warm heating pad to your abdomen helps minimize bladder pressure or discomfort.

Take care.