Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My uncle has just had brain surgery for fronto-parietal tumor

Customer Question

My uncle has just had brain surgery for fronto-parietal tumor ,single metastasis 2 cm diameterv.
He woke up with right arm and leg paralised. He had classic surgey done and as far as I know it was not supposed to have this complication.The only thing the doctor said to the family was that his survival is no longer than 3 months .He hasn t been thouroghfull examined before for cancer because they thought is a glioma.On routine investigation no tumour .It' s been aweek now and we still do not know the histology I would like to know what could have been the intra-operative possibke complications that could have caused paralysis and iwhat are the chances of recovery.What isvthe pathway of investigation and therapeutic options from this moment on
I would appreciate any information you could provide.
Augusta
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I’m sorry that no expert has yet answered your question, but it is likely because it is impossible to know from this information what happened to cause the paralysis.

It is possible that this was unavoidable as art of the surgery. The portion of the brain that controls motor function is in the back portion of the frontal lobe. While the tumour obviously was not causing paralysis prior to surgery, it may have been so close to the nerves carrying the motor function that it was necessary to damage the nerves to get an adequate margin around the tumour.

If the tumour was so distant from the motor fibers that it is not possible that it was not directly due to the surgery, then the most common other problem would be a stroke due to poor blood supply, called an ischemic stroke. A stroke is a risk of any major surgery, but is more likely after brain surgery.

It is also possible that there could have been excessive bleeding after the surgery, that will act similarly to a haemorrhagic stroke.

His doctor would know whether the damage was done as an unavoidable consequence of removing the tumour, and can also address the other possible causes of the paralysis. Whether the damage was due to the surgery or a stroke, the usual management is rehab, similar to other strokes, although it would be tailored to the references of the individual when there is a poor prognosis.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.